I have been a children’s librarian for over five years. I work in a small public library in a community that has a large...
American Flag Cake
With some berries (or jam) on hand it's easy to decorate any cake to look like the American Flag - lots of fun to make on the Fourth of July, or any day you feel a little Yankee Doodley!
- Cake mix - any flavor
- Whipped topping or white frosting
- strawberries or raspberries
* if fresh berries are not available, feel free to substitute frozen berries, or you can even use blue and red preserves to decorate your flag cake!
- Make your cake!
- When cake is cooled, frost with whipped topping or white frosting
- Top with blueberries (or blueberry jam) for the stars and strawberries (or red jam) for the stripes
- Sing Yankee Doodle and you're done!
- What do the stars on the American Flag mean? (the 50 states)
- What do the stripes on the American Flag mean? (the 13 original states)
- Who was the first American President? (George Washington)
- What is the capital of the United States? (Washington DC)
- What day do Americans celebrate the Independence of the United States? (4th of July)